Current Job OpeningsTown of Franklin, NC
Seeking Next Franklin Town Manager
This position is being handled by Developmental Associates. Instructions for how to
apply are at the end of the posting. No applications through the Town will be accepted.
The Town of Franklin, NC is seeking a community-based leader who is energetic, facilitative, and visionary to be their next Town Manager. The Town Manager will demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a Council holding diverse perspectives, partnering with outstanding and competent staff as well as an engaged community to carry out the strategic priorities of the community.
About the Community: Franklin is a unique town located in the heart of the Nantahala National Forest and the County seat of Macon County. With access to the Blue Ridge and Great Smokey Mountains, Franklin offers beautiful views, outdoor recreation, and small-town charm. Recently named the 25th Best City to Live in North Carolina by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Franklin is known for its Scottish and Cherokee heritage. Hosting multiple festivals per year, the annual population of Franklin (est. 3940) doubles in the Spring, Summer, and Fall when visitors increase to enjoy the natural environment and welcoming atmosphere of this idyllic mountain community. Franklin is an hour from Asheville and two hours from Atlanta, offering residents the best of Mountain living with access to urban environments when desired. The current demographic statistics for Franklin are as follows:
• Median Age: 45.6 years old
• Median family income: $37,947
• Home ownership 55%
• Poverty rate: 23.7%
• Education: 86.2% graduated high school and 22% have a bachelor’s degree or higher
• Race and Ethnicity: 77.5% White (non-Hispanic), 23.3 Hispanic, American Indian alone .5% African-American, 1.7% Asian and Other, 1.8%
The Town Manager reports to the Mayor and a six-person Town Council and works with four Boards: Planning, the Board of Adjustment, Tourism Development Authority, and Franklin Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. The Franklin Town Manager will oversee 57 FTE employees working in the departments of finance, fire and rescue, human resources, police, planning, public works, tax and water and sewer. The FY 21-22 general fund and capital budgets of $10.5M are supported by a tax rate of $.32 per $100 of assessed tax value. More information about the Town can be found here (or copy and paste into your browser:
Key priorities for the next Town Manager are:
- proactively creating and supporting economic vitality opportunities related to regional partnerships, business recruitment, and workforce development programs to improve economic indicators such as education, employment, income, and affordable/ safe housing;
- addressing aging infrastructure needs through strategic planning and funding;
- maintaining and enhancing local and regional partnerships with local governments, nonprofits and businesses; and,
- evaluating personnel policies to ensure continued excellence in employee performance and ensuring effective annual goals/evaluations to nurture employee performance.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years increasingly responsible professional experience in municipal government management. Familiarity with NC municipal management and a master’s degree are preferred. Must have a proven track record in effective budget development and management, oversight of capital improvement projects, and economic development, building effective intergovernmental partnerships, visible community engagement, and participation in civic and professional organizations.
The Successful Candidate is:
- a confident and trusting leader who allows department heads to exercise their expertise without undue oversight;
- an advocate for continuing education for staff and self to ensure effective training, development and succession planning;
- committed to the value of citizen accessibility and is visible and engaged with residents and visitors alike through community involvement;
- experienced in developing and managing annual general and capital budgets;
- an assertive consensus builder in working with an engaged Board and staff to carry out Town initiatives;
- adept at assertively and constructively advising and providing guidance to Town Council;
- committed to open and transparent government by leveraging social media, working with local and regional media outlets, encouraging citizen input, and publicizing decisions;
- skillful in carrying out current CIP and debt commitments while finding creative ways to increase revenue, manage expenses, and leverage existing funds for new and necessary initiatives that may arise;
- a responsive, detailed and deadline-oriented professional who continuously monitors and engages in process improvement in a service-driven organization;
- resilient in the face of challenges and seeks innovative solutions to problems;
- an excellent communicator both verbally and in writing and possesses well-developed interpersonal skills and abilities;
- disciplined and values accountability with high expectations of self and others while also being an effective and respected leader; and,
- a relationship builder and effectively networks with peers in neighboring communities, municipalities throughout the state and other intergovernmental entities.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring range: $85,000 - $120,000. There is a residency requirement to live with in Town corporate limits. The Town offers a benefit package of health, dental, life, retirement, and leave.
Application and Selection Process:
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Town Manager – Franklin, NC link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser:https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/). All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the Town’s portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by June 20th. Application review begins June 23, 2020. Finalists will participate in virtual interviews and skill assessments on July 22-23, 2021. This requires about four hours of time, not including preparation. Interviews with the Town Council will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Franklin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.
The Town of Franklin is accepting applications for a Police Officer at the Franklin Police Department. The position will perform a wide variety of services directly and indirectly related to the enforcement of law, maintaining peace and dignity of the community and assisting the public.
Work will include patrolling the Town during an assigned shift in a police car or on foot; preventing, detecting, and investigating disturbances and crime; performing traffic control work; apprehending suspects; and executing related assignments. An officer within his/her authority shall be responsible for the enforcement of the laws of the State of North Carolina, and the ordinances of the Town.
Applicants must have a high school diploma/GED or greater, must have completed basic law enforcement training and possess a BLET certificate, a NC driver’s license, and have completed requirements established by the NC Justice Training and Standards Commission for certified law enforcement officers. A 2- or 4-year degree is preferred. The hiring range is $34,192 with a range up to $41,518 DOQ.
Please submit a Town of Franklin application form to the NCWorks Career Center Office at 5 West Main Street, Franklin, NC 28734. Physical address is 23 Macon Avenue, Franklin, NC 28734. Office contact number is (828) 369-9534. Click to download a Town of Franklin employment application. Please contact the Police Department at 828-524-2864 for additional questions about the position.
Closing date – June 30, 2021. Only those who are chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Administrative Assistant for Franklin Police Department
The Town of Franklin is accepting applications for an Administrative Assistant to assist the Franklin Police Department. The position will perform general office and administrative tasks, secretarial duties, and organize and manage property and evidence.
Minimum qualifications: High School diploma or equivalency is required. Graduation from a community college with coursework in computer information technology and office management is desired, along with some experience working in a high public contact environment. The candidate must successfully complete Property and Evidence Room Management Course at the N.C Justice Academy within one year of employment.
Applicants must submit a Town of Franklin application form (click link to download) to the Macon County NCWorks Career Center office located at 23 Macon Avenue, Courthouse Annex, Franklin, NC 28734. Mailing address is 5 West Main Street, Franklin, NC, 28734. Office contact number is 828-369-9534. This positions office hours are full-time M-Thursday 8am-6pm.
For additional questions please contact Chief W.E. Harrell, at 828-524-2864.
A copy of the job description can be found by clicking here.
The Town of Franklin is an EEO/ADA employer.
Hiring Range: $28,129 - $34,157
Closing Date: July 2, 2021
Part-Time Streets Crew Maintenance Members
The Town of Franklin is accepting applications for part-time Streets Maintenance Crew Members. The position performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled labor tasks in street right of way mowing, street cleaning, brush removal, and related maintenance activities.
Qualifications: Experience in semi-skilled maintenance or brush removal and mowing.
Special Requirements: Possession of a valid North Carolina driver's license. Must have the skills to interact effectively with the public.
The position is open until filled. Only applicants scheduled for interviews will be contacted.
Applicants must submit a Town of Franklin application form to the Macon County NCWorks Career Center office located at 23 Macon Avenue, Courthouse Annex, Franklin, NC 28734. Mailing address is 5 West Main Street, Franklin, NC, 28734. Office contact number is 828-369-9534.
For additional questions please contact Travis Tallent, Human Resources, at 828-524-2516. An application can be found by clicking here. Hard copies can be picked up at Town Hall, located at 95 East Main Street. The Town of Franklin is an EEO/ADA employer.
Starting Hourly Wage - $10-$15 per hour
Town Planning Board/Board of Adjustment Vacancies
The Town of Franklin is currently seeking to fill two vacancies on the Town Planning Board/Board of Adjustment. The Town is looking for a town resident and an alternate ETJ resident to serve as a representative on this board that serves on both the Planning board and the Board of Adjustment. The Board of Adjustment meets the 2nd Monday of every month at 4:00 p.m. and the Planning Board meets the 3rd Monday of every month at 4:00 p.m. The meetings are held in the Town Hall Board Room. A time commitment of approximately 2 hours a month is necessary. A resume and current address is required. For more information or to express an interest in serving on the board, please contact Town Planner, Justin Setser at (828) 524-2516.